Birth Story
(non-graphic, but long)
I had my 40 week appointment on July 8 at 8:30am. As standard procedure they were going to do a sonogram, an NST (non-stress test), and an internal exam. My mom came with me to the appointment since Tony had to work. They start with the sonogram and are checking things out. The tech measured the fluid around the baby and found it low and it was the doctors decision to send me in to be induced.
Since they didn't want me at the hospital till the early afternoon, my mom and I had all morning to kill time. I called Tony to let him know what was going on, and he was going to meet us at the house after he finished the morning at work. So my mom and I went to Target to get some last minute things, then back to the house to finish up a couple things around the house. Then I realized I had a ton of fresh strawberries in the fridge, so we made jelly to help the time pass.
Tony came home around noon and we had a quick something to eat and then headed to the hospital. We checked in and got set up in a laboring room. It was so surreal to think this was actually happening. The cervadil was inserted around 2pm and would take 10-12 hours to kick in. So we waited. The day actually went pretty fast, it wasn't too bad.
The next morning I was woken at 2am by the nurses, got to take a shower and move around a bit and then they started me on the pitocen at 4:30am (I was around 2/3 cm dilated). I started to get some pretty strong contractions and they were coming pretty frequently, so by late morning I got the epidural. That was a scary experience but once it kicked in, I was so happy I got it. We continued to wait the rest of the day. Around 3:30/4:00pm the contractions started to get worse and I had progressed to 6 cm. The doctors kept monitoring me and noticed that the baby's heart rate was dropping and not raising high enough to recover. They started to discuss a c-section which I really didn't want to have. They decided to wait just a bit and see if the baby could raise its heart rate, but with no luck, it was actually dropping more. So the c-section became an emergency situation, and the next thing I know I am being wheeled down the hall... I cannot express how scared I was of the whole situation.
As the anesthesiologist was administrating the drugs, I started humming/singing to myself, just to keep my mind off things and so I couldn't hear anything. He thought I was feeling something, so I scared him. After I was all set up and they had started Tony was allowed to join me. We sat there together as he asked me questions and joked about things, to keep my mind off the surgery. The next thing we heard were the most gentle cries and it brought tears to our eyes. We immediately asked what it was and they didn't respond so we kept asking, and finally they said "a girl!". She did great on her apgar and scored a 9 at both the 1 minute and 5 minute tests! We were so thrilled our baby was healthy and safe!
I will never forget this day for the rest of my life! We are so happy and blessed to have our baby girl in our lives!

No comments:
Post a Comment